From the Joad Archives 2013 – “Australian celebrates philosopher’s life” – West Sussex County Times – August 11 2013

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/australian-celebrates-philosopher-s-life-1-5367905

 

Australian celebrates philosopher’s life

JPCT 060813 S13321192x  Richard Symonds by Amberley Station -photo by Steve Cobb

JPCT 060813 S13321192x Richard Symonds by Amberley Station -photo by Steve Cobb

An Australian has travelled more than 10,000 miles to celebrate the life and times of philosopher and previous South Downs resident CEM Joad on the 60th anniversary of his death.

The incredible journey was made a reality when Australian Greg Devine read an article published by Ifield resident, Richard Symonds, called ‘The Forgotten Christian Philosopher’ about the celebrated author, Cyril Edwin Mitchinson Joad.

Mr Devine read that the walk from Amberley Station to South Stoke was probably the most beautiful walk on the South Downs – a walk CEM Joad himself took many times – and so he decided to get in touch with Mr Symonds and experience the route firsthand.

On July 28-30, the Australian from Redcliffe (a bay-side town north of Brisbane) travelled to the UK with his wife and a close friend.

“Richard and I hit it off immediately, chatting all the way,” said the 56-year-old.

“He showed me the historic North Stoke church. We then proceeded to the South Stoke Farm, stopping off at St Leonard’s Church.

“Richard then pointed out the building and window at which CEM Joad sat writing many of his books.”

CEM Joad wrote and edited more than 100 books, pamphlets, articles and essays, including ‘An Old Countryside for New People’ and ‘Folly Farm’, until his death in 1953.

He most notably appeared on The Brains Trust, a BBC Radio wartime discussion programme.

“Joad’s writings speak to me of a man who searched earnestly for the truth. He’s inspired me to use language in lively and engaging ways,” said Mr Devine.

The Australian party also visited ‘Meadow Hills’ in Stedham – the former home of CEM Joad. The owners, Sarah and Martin Large, kindly welcomed the tourists.

Mr Devine said: “The garden had become overgrown but Sarah was valiantly working to restore it. She is convinced that Meadow Hills was the location of the farm and house described in Joad’s book ‘Folly Farm’.”

The 60th anniversary of CEM Joad’s death was marked at the Stedham Village Memorial Hall in April.

Advertisements

Trump, Joad and Nuclear War – Daily Mail Front Page “How Scared Should We Be?” – April 12 2017 + Letter “Hear! Hear!” by Richard W. Symonds

17884372_1594200023926827_6419844588074093427_n

IMG_6781.JPG

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20170412/282497183527162

Dear Editor
 

As Trump’s America plays its own potentially-catastrophic global war game, we would do well to remember a forgotten English philosopher and writer – C.E.M. Joad (1891-1953) – whose work is exhibited at the Arundel Museum this week (‘The Joadian Way’ Exhibition – April 7-14).

67 years ago, in June 1950 at the start of the Cold War, Joad won an Oxford Union Debate against Randolph Churchill – chaired by Robin Day [an Oxford ‘stringer’ for Time magazine which later covered the debate under the heading “Heading for Hell?”]:

“That this House regrets the influence exercised by the U.S. as the dominant power among the democratic nations”.

 
 
Yours sincerely
 
 
Richard W. Symonds
The Joad Society
 
2 Lychgate Cottages
Ifield Street, Ifield Village
Crawley, West Sussex RH11 0HX
 
Tel: 07540 309592 (Text only – Very deaf)

“The Joadian Way” – Ramblette and Exhibition 2017

 

 IMG_6681.JPG

The Joadian Way Ramblette

download
C.E.M. Joad

Described as “possibly the most beautiful short walk in the South Downs National Park”, the Joadian Way Ramblette took place the weekend before Easter – Saturday April 8 – to mark the 64th Anniversary of South Downs philosopher and writer C.E.M. Joad (1891-1953), who became famous in the wartime Brains Trust.

Starting from Amberley Station at 11am, the short walk passes through North Stoke near the South Downs Way (with its unique red Telephone Box/Information Point), and then on to South Stoke where Joad wrote many of his 100+ books in the 1940’s.

img_4262 (4).jpg

Distance : 5.3m (8.5k) – 2 hour walk (round-trip).
Terrain : Grass footpath and track (muddy and slippery in parts). Good walking boots strongly advised. A few hills.
Where to park : Amberley Station (off the B 2139)
IMG_6593
Amberley Station
ROUTE
IMG_63871. Start from the Heritage Trail sign on the wall at Amberley Station, with the Amberley Working Museum opposite. This small village, called Houghton Bridge, is located on the banks of the river Arun and is home to, rather confusingly, both Amberley museum and train station.
IMG_63902. Head out of the Amberley Station and immediately cross the busy road – with care. Walk left towards Houghton Bridge [a walk right would go Amberley Village – a good walk from the station].
Don’t miss the small signpost of the Chichester-Horsham Literary Trail to the right [Ref: “West Sussex Literary Trail” by Peter Anderson & Keith McKenna – Per-Rambulations 2007].
IMG_7075
turnpike3. Reach the white Turnpike Toll House. just before the bridge.

Here it is best to do a little ‘imagineering’ and go back in time to 1814 – over 200 years ago. Imagine no trains, no cars and no restaurants – just boats and a bridge over the river. The only means of crossing the river was the bridge – thus the Toll House to charge for crossing it.

Houghton Bridge was built in 1813, with John Davis being the first Toll “Keeper”. He started work on April 1 1814 and received eight shillings per week.

Toll-HouseTurnpike tolls raised £70 to £80 per year. The charge of two shillings was made “for every 4-wheeled Wagon, Wain, Cart drawn by 8 horses”; two shillings for “Coach, Chariot, Landau, Berlin chaise, Curricule, Calah, Hearse or other such carriage drawn by six horses or other beasts”; and “for every drove of calves, swine, sheep or lambs sum of 10d [pence] per score”.

“For any use on a Sunday – Double Toll”.

bridgeThe bridge itself was rebuilt in 1875 by landowners which included the Duke of Norfolk (Arundel Castle) and Lord Leconfield (Petworth House).

 4. Carefully go half-way across the bridge, and cross the road at the footpath signpost on the other side. Then follow the path to the river.
IMG_65225. Follow the grass path along the river – “The Riverbank Walk”. Keep a look out for the different varieties of wildlife which frequent the River Arun throughout the year – as well as the occasional fisherman
After going over a stile, immediately turn left over another stile (by the small lock). Walk to the end of this narrow, hedged footpath which is often very muddy and slippery. Take extra care here. The road will finally be reached
6. red-tel-boxTurn right and walk up the road until a bright red telephone box is reached at North Stoke. (which has been transformed into a miniature Tourist Information Centre!). This is what it was like before the transformation by the Wiggonholt Association.
At this point, take a rest after the slow climb up the road. Look inside the telephone and do some more ‘imagineering’ – yes, it’s a small Tardis!
IMG_6588
There might be two horses in the field behind. They are very friendly – especially if some grass is offered to them.
IMG_6664 (1)
 7. At the Telephone Box/Information Point, turn right along the road by the farm.
 8. Follow the road until you reach North Stoke Farm House
IMG_6662 (1)
st mary photo john vigar
Photo by John Vigar [Hat-Tip: Janet Aidin]
and  North Stoke Church,
IMG_6651 (1)
St Mary’s Church, North Stoke

IMG_6660

Then come back the same way, and just after the red telephone box take the signposted footpath to the right.
red-tel-box

9. The narrow footpath brings you out on to the grand vista of the South Downs.

IMG_6589

Go straight across the field to the wooded area (any cows, sheep or horses therein are likely to be very curious).

10. Follow the footpath through the woods and cross over the Gurkha Bridge
IMG_6374
11. Keep along the path, noticing the Knobbled Tree on the left (easily missed!)
IMG_6398
 Continue walking until the river is reached. Turn left after the turnstile, and walk along the river towards the the white bridge
IMG_6624
The Bridge

South Stoke Farm and St Leonard’s Church can be seen on the other side of the Arun.

photo (34)
12. Cross over the Bridge
IMG_6392
South Stoke Farm looking West
IMG_6649 (1)
Arun Valley Line looking East
 And follow the track into South Stoke Village.
13. Pass the Old Rectory and St Leonard’s Church
IMG_6628
St Leonard’s Church

In the cemetery, look out for “The Still Point” inscription by TS Eliot on the gravestone of John and Joanna Haggarty.

IMG_6630
This author came to understand a little more about “The Still Point” at the Knobbled Tree (see Point 11.).
Walk on to the Chapel Barn and South Stoke Farm [from where CEM Joad wrote many of his 100+ books, and is the farm in his posthumous work of fiction “Folly Farm”].
IMG_6636
Chapel Barn
IMG_6641
IMG_6640
South Stoke Farm
IMG_6643
Lambing Season on this busy working farm
IMG_6393
C.E.M. Joad (working in South Stoke Farm in 1943 – Candle-holder still used for Village events)
IMG_6428
Photo Postcard taken by Chris Clarke [looking from the South-West towards the North-East] – South Stoke Farm and Chapel Barn to the left, and St Leonard’s Church to the right.
14. Return to Amberley Station/Houghton Bridge by walking back to North Stoke. At its Telephone Box/Information Point turn right, then keep walking along the road running parallel with the railway line towards the station.
15. Pass the Chalkpit tunnel (from where scenes of the James Bond film “A View to a Kill” were shot – starring Roger Moore and Grace Jones)
IMG_6386
IMG_6389
Pass the Old School House to the right
IMG_6399
and the Old Cannon to the left (down by the river)
IMG_6400
until the Bridge Inn is reached [made famous by Hilaire Belloc’s “The Four Men”]
The Joadian Way Ramblette ends here.
Time for lunch – either at The Bridge Inn or Riverside Restaurant. Excellent food and service.
IMG_6385
IMG_6402
IMG_6734
There is a Joad Archive Research Collection at West Sussex Record Office in Chichester and the Arundel Museum – with a special Display from April 7th to April 14th.
IMG_6414

IMG_6680

file (3).jpeg
Photograph by Arundel Museum’s Pauline Carder

IMG_6683

Text link to make PayPal donations to Richard Symonds

Thank you

Featured post

The Critical Relevance of C.E.M. Joad in the 21st Century – Trump and The Oxford Union Debate 1950

img_6516 (2).jpg

As Trump’s America plays its own potentially-catastrophic global war game, we would do well to remember a forgotten English philosopher and writer – C.E.M. Joad (1891-1953) – whose work is exhibited at the Arundel Museum this week (‘The Joadian Way’ Exhibition – April 7-14).

67 years ago, in June 1950 at the start of the Cold War, Joad won an Oxford Union Debate against Randolph Churchill – chaired by Robin Day [an Oxford ‘stringer’ for Time magazine which later covered the debate under the heading “Heading for Hell?”]:

“That this House regrets the influence exercised by the U.S. as the dominant power among the democratic nations”.

 

~ Richard W. Symonds

“Philosopher commemorated at Arundel Museum” – Littlehampton Gazette – April 6 2017 [From today, Friday, April 7th] + The Joadian Way Ramblette [Tomorrow, Saturday, April 8th]

http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/philosopher-commemorated-at-arundel-museum-1-7899192#comments-area

Philosopher commemorated at Arundel Museum

C. E. M. Joad

C. E. M. Joad

 

The work of a philosopher, writer and wartime ‘Brains Trust’ celebrity is set to be showcased at the Arundel Museum this month.

Cyril Edwin Mitchinson Joad, a prolific writer who penned more than 100 books, lived from August 12 1891 until April 9 1953. He did a lot of his work in Sussex, where he wrote many of his books.

Joad was one of the best known British intellectuals of his time.

As a panel member of The Brains Trust, an informational BBC radio and television programme in the 1940s and 50s, Joad would enable the show’s panel of experts to answer questions sent in by the audience.

Joad passed away of cancer at the age of 61 at Easter 1953, and to mark the occasion, Arundel Museum is displaying some of the Joad Archive.

From April 7 to 14, the museum will display Joad artefacts and manuscripts, and visitors can find out what links philosophy, train travel and a Sussex farm.

Arundel Museum is almost exclusively run by volunteers who have a passion for the history of the town and its people. The exhibits have been arranged to tell the story of this historic town.

The exhibition will commemorate the passing of the ‘People’s Philosopher’ and Brains Trust broadcaster.

For more information, visit http://www.arundelmuseum.org.

To find out more about Joad, visit cemjoad.wordpress.com.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑